2 mullets, weighing about 350 g each, cleaned and descaled 25 g flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
Sunflower oil for deep-frying
15 ml finely chopped garlic
1 large red chilli, finely chopped
15 ml sunflower oil
15 ml muscovado sugar
20 ml fish sauce
15 ml lemon juice
1 small onion, sliced
1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
25 g cashew nuts, halved
25 g fresh basil leaves
- Pound together the garlic and chilli in a pestle and mortar until they form a coarse
- Heat the oil in a small saucepan, add the garlic and chilli paste and fry for a minute.
- Stir in the sugar, fish sauce and lemon juice, bring to a simmer, and keep warm until
Fish and Garnishes:
- Fill a pan large enough to accommodate the fish about one-third full of sunflower oil, and heat the oil to 190 °C.
- Add the sliced onion, garlic and cashew nuts and fry for 2 minutes, lift out with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen
- Add the basil leaves and fry for about 30 Drain and set aside.
- Rinse the fish and pat
- Coat in the seasoned flour and deep-fry one at a time for 5 – 6 minutes, until crisp and Drain briefly on kitchen paper and keep warm while you cook the remaining fish.
- Place the fish on a warm plate and spoon over the Scatter with the garnishes and serve.