- Whisk the egg whites until stiff (not dry)
- Add the sugar gradually, to make sure its incorporated completely, whilst beating
- Whisk until very stiff and shiny. Add the cream of tartar and the vanilla
- Shape a free-form meringue onto a double layer of well greased baking paper.
- Bake for 2 hours at 100 degrees and switch off the oven to dry and cool in the oven.
- Place on a serving dish once cooled.
- Spoon a generous layer of whipped, slightly sweetende cream over the meringue, top with drained canned pears, chopped roasted hazelnuts and finely grated orange rind (only a small amount).
- Drizzle with some melted dark chocolate.