As the winter chill sets in, there can’t be a greater pleasure than settling down with a bowl of hearty soup and some homemade bread.
Recipes by Christine Capendale of Delici Cooking Studio, Langebaan.
LAMB AND CHICKPEA SOUP
500 g boneless, cubed lamb(I use deboned leg of lamb)
45 ml olive oil
2 small onions, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
10 ml grated fresh ginger
10 ml ground cumin
10 ml paprika
50 ml tomato paste
1 litre chicken or beef stock
2 tins chickpeas, drained
1 tin chopped tomatoes
100 ml chopped fresh coriander
60 ml chopped flat leaf parsley
salt and pepper to taste
- Add oil to saucepan and saute the onions, garlic and ginger .
- Add the meat and stir-fry for a few minutes.
- Add the cumin, paprika, and bay leaf to the pan and cook until fragrant.
- Add the tomato paste and cook another 2 minutes – stirring constantly – and add the stock.
- Add the drained chickpeas , chopped tomatoes, half of the coriander and the parsley.
- Simmer for ± 2 hours until meat is tender stir occasionally.
- Season to taste and serve with the rest of the fresh herbs.